So the other day Jessca and I had a great idea. We decided that our first recipe video for this site was going to be a super easy pimiento cheese spread. I know, pimiento cheese is one of those “throw it all in a bowl and stir” foods, right? It is for the most part, but since we aren’t video experts yet it seemed like a great way to test the waters. Plus it’s my go-to snack on crackers, bread, etc, and for me a great pimiento cheese has a bold flavor and at least a little bit of heat to it. I’m sure you have no doubt tasted the generic grocery store tubs of this stuff before, and it might have even turned you off of it completely, but I promise you that a good pimiento cheese just might change your life. So we decided to go for it, and this is the story of how it all went down. But first, let’s take a look at the particular dish in question. See? This ain’t your garden variety bowl of cheese slop.
So we got everything ready and started filming our first video. It was a little tricky at first with more than a few mess ups and cussing at the camera in frustration (oops). We eventually got into our groove and 30 minutes later Jessca sat down to edit what we thought was surely gold, but we were wrong. So very, very wrong. A few seconds into it and we noticed something: it didn’t have sound. None of it. Half an hour of footage and this schmuck was going on and on into a microphone that wasn’t recording. We couldn’t even reshoot because I had used all of our ingredients making the final batch of pimiento cheese on camera. So in order to salvage our post, Jessca got behind her camera and did her thing with the light that was fading fast.
So, we might share the footage later on with funny voice overs for a little comic relief, but for now here is the recipe without a video because we missed our window of kid free time for the week. Don’t worry, our first recipe video is definitely on the way, it’s just not this one. But I hope you enjoy our quick and easy Spicy Pimiento Cheese recipe! It’s great as a snack spread or in a sandwich and if you don’t like spice you can skip the jalapeños. You can even skip the pimientos if they aren’t your thing and you will still have an awesome cheese spread that’s great for piling between two slices of bread and tearing into.
Check out the recipe below, and feel free to make it your own! This won’t take you long at all, but before you sit down to mix everything together make sure your cream cheese is softened and at room temperature to make it easy to work with. Now let’s get to making!
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 1½ cups pepper jack cheese
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 oz pimientos
- 3 tsp pimiento juice
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 whole jalapeno - de-seeded and diced
- 2 pinches of salt
- 4 pinches of ground black pepper
- Take the cream cheese out and let it sit at room temperature for 30 minutes to soften up.
- While you're waiting for that, go ahead and shred the cheese and dice up the jalapeno.
- When you're cream cheese is ready, combine cream cheese, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper, pimiento juice, salt, and ground pepper in a medium bowl and mix well with a fork.
- After that, add in the cheddar cheese, pepper jack cheese, pimientos, and diced jalapeño and mix again. *You want it mixed well, but you don't want your cheese to break down so do this step lightly.
- Enjoy on crackers, as a sandwich or whatever other option you like!